Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rumors of a Book


     Every day I see literature, read literature, write literature. I study literature, I imitate literature, and I love literature. All throughout my experience with literature, and more specifically with science fiction/fantasy novels, I have always found that the important thing that a story portrays is not the beginning, nor the ending, but rather the way in which the story brings itself from the beginning to the end and the way in which the characters evolve and change along the way. The beauty of this genre is that the characters are quite often very human, with flaws and vices, virtues and characteristics, but with a twist of the fantastic. In essence, what a science fiction/fantasy book can do is take the reader and place him or her in the shoes of a character or characters in any given plot line, and let them live an extraordinary life, where anything is possible. 

I, as a fantasy writer, am drawn to the genre because I personally love putting a reader in a spot where he can understand the character, and get to know them throughout a story that tumbles through a world the reader has never yet experienced. The journey the reader takes is much like a roller coaster: you don't get on one because you love the beginning, and you don't get on one just so you can get off again. It is the ride that you love. It is the ups, and indeed even the downs that get your heart pumping. It is the mountains and valleys, and the people you meet along the way. It is the way you see the character change dramatically over the course of the story. And it is the way the story changes you, either ever so slightly, or so powerfully that you can never be the same.

That, my friends, is the beauty of writing. This blog is our gift to you, before we present you all with our finished product. We want to share our journey, our ups and downs, and our trials and successes. We will post updates on how the book is coming, release sneak peaks, and hopefully show you how the process has been for both of us! 

Thank you, and God bless,

~Denton Holmgren
 

5 comments:

  1. How true. Story is a way for us humans to explore the what ifs from our armchairs and let our minds drift down paths we wouldn't know to explore on our own. Can't wait to read about your writing process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your description of an author's process and the reader's experience in a successful novel is the most vivid, yet concise, I have ever come across. I don't think I've ever read any science fantasy before, the closest I've come is The Last Unicorn, by Peter Beagle (fantasy, no science). I have no idea what to expect but I'll bet this ride will be well worth the price of the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I talked about the genre of Science fiction/fantasy, I meant it only as a genre that encompasses both science fiction and fantasy. So we are only writing a fantasy story :)

      Sorry, I should have made it more clear! But I still hope you enjoy the ride :) and thank you very much for your feedback!

      Delete
    2. Any feedback is good feedback in my mind:)

      Delete
  3. Great analogy with the roller coaster! I think you hit it spot on.

    ReplyDelete